Your Future And Well-Being Are Our Priorities

Are You Facing A Criminal Charge? Do You Need Answers?

An arrest or a criminal charge is always frightening. With Cantor & Cantor, you can rest easier knowing that you have a skilled defense attorney with more than 15 years of experience. Zachary Cantor has defended the people of Fort Myers and the surrounding area from serious accusations ranging from theft to homicide. On this page, he has provided answers for some of his clients’ most frequently asked questions.

What should I do if I am arrested?

First and foremost: Do not talk to the police! Law enforcement officers have tactics that they use to make you admit guilt, even if you have not done anything wrong. Politely give your name, age and address, but then immediately request an attorney.

What happens after I am charged with a crime?

For less severe offenses, the officer will probably give you a written notice to appear before a judge in court. Usually though, the arresting officer will take you to the nearest jail to have you processed. If you can post bond, you can leave the jail within 24 hours. However, if you cannot post bond or you have been charged with an offense that requires you to appear before a judge, you will have a court hearing within 24 hours.

What is the difference between a misdemeanor and a felony?

Misdemeanors are charges that can result in up to one year of incarceration. Some common misdemeanors include DUIs and low-level drug charges. Felonies are charges that can result in one or more years of incarceration. Sexual assault, aggravated assault and battery, and white-collar crimes are usually felonies.

Should I make a plea bargain?

A plea bargain is an arrangement that you make with the district attorney’s office in which you plead guilty to a lesser offense. Some plea bargains can benefit you greatly. In other situations, you have a better chance of getting a positive outcome if you go to trial. Speak with your lawyer to discuss which method is best for your unique scenario.

How will a criminal conviction on my record affect my life?

If the state convicts you of a crime, you face much more than just expensive fines, jail time and probation. Your criminal record will reflect your past. This can impact your education, housing options, child custody arrangement and personal reputation. You should do everything in your power to fight the charges against you aggressively.

Do I need to hire a lawyer?

Yes! Although you have the option of working with a Florida public defender, these attorneys often have a heavy caseload and cannot always give you personal attention. You deserve the service of a private defense lawyer who can devote adequate time and scrutiny to your case.

Ask More Questions – Get More Answers

These questions and answers are likely only a drop in the bucket for you. If you or someone you love faces a criminal charge, contact Mr. Cantor to schedule an initial consultation. To reach him, call 239-494-3164 or send him an email today.